Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
All credit goes to my TN friend, Marcey, for this recipe. This cake is perfect every time and such a wonderful addition to any breakfast or brunch buffet as well as a great dessert cake. Using seasonal fruits, strawberries and rhubarb, make this a great spring cake but it may be made anytime of the year using frozen fruits.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour I use unbleached.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt I use healthy pink salt.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups rhubarb, washed sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 16 oz frozen sliced, sweetened strawberries thawed, undrained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice fresh or bottled
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- Batter: Stir together first five ingredients. Cut in butter to fine crumbs. Combine buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and add to butter-flour mixture, stirring to moisten and combine.
- Filling: In saucepan, combine fruits and cook on medium-low, covered, for 5 minutes. Add lemon juice. Combine sugar and cornstarch in separate bowl, then add to fruit mixture. Cook and stir on medium 4-5 minutes until thickened and bubbly. Set aside to cool. (This may be made a day or two ahead and kept refrigerated.)
- Topping: Combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter until fine crumbs.
- Assembly: Into a well-greased 9 x 13 pan or dish, spread a little over half of the batter. (Two square pans may be used and one frozen after baking.) Spread cooled filling over the batter then top with mounds of remaining batter. Sprinkle with topping mixture. Bake 350F 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes then enjoy warm or completely cooled.