🍅Mrs. Katie’s Lasagna Soup🥫
Watch Mrs. Katie make this soup and her youngest son shares his thoughts on the taste.
- 1 stockpot or Dutch oven
- 16 or more ozs. Italian sausage, casings removed or bulk sausage or other meat of choice
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 T. oil
- 1 T. garlic minced
- 1 t. fennel seed
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 28 oz. beef stock or broth
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1 T. Italian seasoning blend
- ¼ t. black pepper
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. crushed red pepper
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar, optional
- 1 splash dry red wine, optional
- 2 ½ cups lasagna small-shaped pasta (Mafalda Corta) or broken lasagna noodles
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated + additional for garnish
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 T. fresh parsley, chopped + additional for garnish
- In stockpot or Dutch oven, brown sausage in oil, breaking up the sausage as desired. When almost browned, add onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seed and cook about 1 minute, stirring.
- Continuing at medium heat, add all tomato products, beef broth and remaining seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Bring soup almost to boil, add pasta, stirring. High simmer until pasta is al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Add to soup the Parmesan, ricotta and parsley. Stir.
- Serve hot, garnished with additional parsely and Parmesan, with crusty bread.