- 1 lb ground beef
- ¾ lb pork sausage
- 3 cans tomato sauce 8 oz each
- 2 cans tomato paste 6 oz each
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley minced
- 3 cups cottage cheese
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 9 lasagna noodles cooked and drained
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- In a skillet, cook meat over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.(I find that boiling meat in water produces a more tender meat. Drain into a bowl and toss outside, NOT down your drain!)
- Add the next seven ingredients to the drained meat.Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, parsley, cottage cheese, ricotta and parmesan.
- Spread one cup of meat sauce in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Layer with 3 noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups of cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, 3 noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cottage cheese mixture and 1 cup mozzarella.Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella. (Dish will be full.)
- Cover and bake at 375°F for 50 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 20 more minutes.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
This is a great lasagna recipe. It can be labor-intensive and expensive. Use this recipe or one similar to learn the art of lasagna making. Then, you’ll be able to make lasagna without a recipe, using whatever types and amounts of meat, cheeses, etc. that you can afford.