Coca-Cola Chocolate Cake
Copycat of Cracker Barrel Cola Cake
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder (I use dark.)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Coca-Cola
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter softened
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- ½ cup Coca-Cola
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Sift flour and sugar together in heat-proof mixing bowl. (Preferably glass)
- Heat butter, cocoa, cola to just boiling then pour this over the flour mixture. Mix well.
- Add buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Continue to mix well then pour into 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until tester returns clean.
- Cool 15 minutes before icing.
- In a medium saucepan, bring first three ingredients to a boil.
- Just when butter is melted, remove from heat and add sugar. Mix well. May use hand mixer or whisk.
- Spread on cake which has cooled for at least 15 minutes.
Note: This is called icing rather than frosting as icing is not as thick
and tends to be thinner.