A delightful change from Fried or Boiled Cabbage, this recipe is a comfort food that all the folks at the table should appreciate. The thrifty homemaker will appreciate that this dish costs only 24¢ per serving (at the time of this writing, February 2022, in mid-Ohio, USA).
Follow along as Mrs. Katie shares her version of this recipe which is from one of her favorite frugal cookbooks, More With Less Cookbook. Video Tutorial HERE
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and chopped (about 10 cups)
- ½ white or sweet onion, sliced or chopped
- 2 T. bacon grease, or other oil
- ¼ cup water, or less
- 2 T. butter
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. black pepper
- 1 t. celery seed, optional
- 1 t. smoked paprika, optional
- In frying pan, melt bacon grease (or other oil of choice), then add onion and cabbage. Stir gently. Add salt and pepper. Add water. The less water added is best. The goal is to fry-steam the cabbage without burning it. Cover with lid and cook on medium heat about 3 minutes.
- Stir again, replace lid and steam about 3 more minutes. The cabbage should not be too soft but just slightly crunchy when tasted. Drain or cook off remaining liquid.
- Add butter and cream cheese to cabbage. Add celery seed and paprika, as desired. Stir gently over low heat, melting and mixing thoroughly.
- Serve immediately or reheat gently. May garnish with additional smoked paprika.